Here we are… it’s January! The start of a new year. This month we move into our Feed Your Happy season. We’re talking foods to help boost your mood!
Our key HAPPY ingredients are foods which are rich in tryptophan, an amino acid that is a precursor to our happy hormone serotonin. Essentially, tryptophan helps our body produce and balance serotonin. Below you will find a snapshot of some of these ingredients along with a list of all of them. Try and add a few good sources into your diet daily! Luckily some can literally just be eaten raw which is the best way. And always chose organic wherever possible.
- Oats 100% whole grain
- Soya beans (organic)
- Beans and legumes
- Sweet potatoes
- Sesame seeds, cashews and walnuts
- Chicken (organic)
- Wild caught salmon
- Eggs (organic free range)
Quick HAPPY food ideas:
- Homemade hummus
- Sliced banana dipped into a nut butter
- Roasted sweet potato with a tahini dressing and wilted greens
- Sweet potato omelette – using any leftover roast sweet potato
- Bean and soya bean salad with roasted wild salmon
- Whole roast chicken cooked with a whole lemon in the cavity served with roast sweet potatoes
Be confident and simply choose recipes using the key ingredients!
In our shot here for the roast chicken, we mixed some organic butter with salt, pepper and turmeric and pushed it under the skin before roasting. It gave the skin a beautiful bright yellow colour and subtly flavoured the flesh of the breast.